Thursday, August 03, 2006

How would you teach your students?

As a responsible practitioner working in a busy public hospital, I need to ensure patients will be seen and treated on time. Of course, they must be happy with the treatment provided too. Who would like a crappy job done on their feet after all??
2 final -year students arrived last morning to start their 10 weeks stint placement at the hospital.
After assessing the student's progress on my first client, I doubt the student wasn't engaging good techniques , for instance, using the nail clippers or scalpels.
From then onwards, I preferred to sit in and guide as they go along during the treatment period.

BUT, I got a remark from this acting manager. She felt that I shouldn't be protective of the students and instead, I should leave my clients to them. My responsibility is to check their work after treatment provided afterwards. She reassured that I should be enjoying a cuppa tea and relax at one corner.

What's worst,she told the students to take their time on the treatment!? Firstly,this is public sector. If we don't keep track of timing on each patients, all of us will have to end up going late without OT pay. Somehow , the students have to buck up a lot quicker than expected then. I can't wait for a student just to cut someone's nails for 40mins.

I wanted to give a good spanking to this third year student. He wrote :" callous reduced on plantar surface of feet."

Callous means a word that describes on a person who is insensible, hardening, apathetic.

Yes, I am saying that it should be 'callus' -D'oh!

5 comments:

Rachel said...

haha believe it or not, the male boss where I work (recent graduate in the Post grad dental program) wrote that a patient had a "saw spot from the denture rubbing" when he ment SORE spot!!! Can you believe the quality of spelling nowadays??

Flatfeet said...

Rachel Jie: you should use a red pen and circle it and put the correct spelling next to it . Hurhur.

Rachel said...

Heh! I find it so amusing that so many of these Ang mohs take it for granted that their English is better than asians, when in face I bet most of Singapore can spell better than most of Australia!
did you know they don't teach English, grammar or spelling at all in schools here? Shocking right?

Dentist Down Under said...

Hey that's what I realised too, the Aussies suck at spellings and grammar! English is my third language and I sure can spell better than them. Tsk tsk

Flatfeet said...

Don't know why the schools would think that they can speak good english but doesn't they can spell or write well.Shame Shame ;p