Sunday, June 03, 2007

Let's recycle!


Since I've landed in Australia 7 years ago, I've been taught the importance of using a recycle bag for grocery shopping. Differentiate the rubbish from those recycle products vs non-recycled ones. In fact, it wasn't so much of hassel to do that.


Getting the idea of recycling in Singapore proves too much for the locals to handle. On the contrary, maybe I shouldn't be making such a generalised statement. Considering Singapore is a well-advanced and well-educated society, how can we not accept the concept of recycling easily? Don't we want our future generations to live in a less polluted enviroment ?


I can see what the enviroment department is doing its best by setting up recycle bins within reach of the locals. The million dollar question is: What is making the local people so reluctant to recycle?


Is it because they are lazy? Ignorant? Can't be bothered attitude? No time lah! - Singaporean's favourite excuse of all times.



Plastic bags in drink can recycle bin??

My assistant is a very good example of why she thinks recycling is not necessary.
She says:" I don't use air con, don't open fridge for too long. So that's ok what."


Me:" The amount of rubbish you dumped per day do take up space on our planet. So people get to incinerate those excessive rubbish and thus causing air pollution. If you and I don't think about recycling, your daughter's generations and after generations will have to pay for the price. Hence with on-going pollution, those thick black smoke will start to choke up their lungs. Quite sad that if million of others do think alike like you do."



My mom has set up a box solely for recycle glass and paper products at the kitchen area.

I've managed to grab a used- carton and placed it at my clinic for recycle purpose ; )








1 comment:

Dentist Down Under said...

Darling!

I am back from Darwin hurhur. You want me to get some recycling bags for you from the council? :p