Teaching students a lesson
In a good way of course. The students who are currently having placement at the hospital will have their assessment marked by me. *evil grins*
I would expect students not to be just competent in clinical work (at least to an acceptable level) but theoretically as well.
Here are some of the highlights of the questions that they will being asked:
1) Anatomy of foot - if they don't know the muscles compartments or what nerve innervates the muscle, be prepared to get a big fat 'F' on report card.
2) Pharmacology
Podiatrists deal with a lot fungal cases in particular to the sole of the feet (tinea pedis) or the nails (onychomycosis). Students are expected to know at least 2 or more anti-fungal agents which they may suggest patients to use. Good footcare advice should also be demostrated at this point.
3) Terminology- understanding terms like onychocryptosis,onychauxic, subungal exostosis, paronychia, onychogrophosis, koilonychia
4) Dressings- types of adherence, hyrocolloids, semi-permable hydrgogels, alginate, foams etc...
5) Characteristics of arterial, venous, and neuropathic wounds
6) Biomechanics (eg, define 'subtalar neutral position'and orthotic/material used
7) Differential diagnosis on knee and ankle conditions.
8) Paediatrics- sever's dieases , Osgood-schlatters, Kholers, Freiberg's
9) Anasthetics -Side effects, dosage calculation , contraindications
10) Diabetic foot: ***most favourable OSCE question.
Neurovascular assessment and interpretation of results. Able to perform Doppler Ultrasound effectively.Causes of neuropathy. What's HbA1C vs normal BSL reading.
11) Identify upper and lower motor neurone disease. List at least 3 examples from each.
Now I'm brain fried as I'm listing all these questions with very minimal help from the textbook.
Time for a good night sleep.
2 comments:
Glad I'm not your student ;p
I'm set to drill the students ;p
Post a Comment